Building a better bike helmet

While I applaud efforts to make biking sexier, I don't believe a fear of lycra is a serious factor in preventing would-be bikers from getting on the road. That being said, there are certain accessories that I think could be better designed to fit the needs of urban commuter. And with the number of bikers on the rise, designing and marketing practical bike accessories is a great opportunity for entrepreneurs to tackle an emerging market.
One accessory I'd like to see improved is the helmet. For the last couple years, I've been using a basic Bell helmet that I painted neon yellow for increased visibility (Photo 1). But when I switched from riding a cyclecross bike to the Brompton, I started jonesing for more fashionable head protection.
For guidance, I turned to the recent NYTimes fashion spread on urban cyclists, but not a single helmet appeared in the glossy photos of Dutch bikes and male models clad in impossibly white suits.
I definitely wasn't prepared to give up the helmet - in fact there are days when I wish I had full-body Kevlar protection. I ultimately settled on a BMX/hipster style Bern helmet (Photo 2), but not before wondering - since horseback riders have a range of options, from velvet covered eventing helmets to the helmet hiding cowboy hat (Photo 3) - why there aren't a wider selection of bicycle helmet designs.
In my quest for new helmet styles, I came across a European helmet company Yakkay that designs helmets with interchangeable hat-like covers. Not exactly my aesthetic (Photo 4), and not available at U.S. retailers, but I applaud the effort. I'd personally prefer a helmet that looks like the old Italian "hairnet" helmets, but that actually offers adequate head protection (Photo 5).
The other biking accessory that I find extremely cumbersome is my bike locking system. Living in NYC, I'm afraid to use anything but a Kryptonite lock and heavy-duty chain, which weigh a lot and leaves bruises and scrapes on my hips when I bike with it. Maris suggested I should get a Rottweiler, but I'm convinced there's got to be a carbon-fiber light yet indestructible enough to deter bike thieves NASA-invented material that's just waiting to be utilized in bike-lock technology.

8 Responses to "Building a better bike helmet"

  1. I have read your blog it is very helpful for me. I want to say thanks to you. I have bookmark your site for future updates.
    bike lock

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Efficiently written information. It will be profitable to anybody who utilizes it, counting me. Keep up the good work. For certain I will review out more posts day in and day out. https://johnlennon40thday.wixsite.com/aboveusonlyskies/post/bicycle-helmet-safety

    ReplyDelete
  4. This blog is really great. The information here will surely be of some help to me. Thanks!. bike accessories

    ReplyDelete
  5. nice post, keep up with this interesting work. It really is good to know that this topic is being covered also on this web site so cheers for taking time to discuss this! best bike light

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for taking the time to discuss this, I feel strongly about it and love learning more on this topic. bike stand to buy

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have performed a great job on this article. It’s very precise and highly qualitative. You have even managed to make it readable and easy to read. You have some real writing talent. Thank you so much. bicycle helmet

    ReplyDelete